Work Package 5: Longer Battery Life
(Updated: March 2020)
Design thermal management and investigate load management strategies for homogeneous cell ageing within the battery pack in order to extend the lifetime of the battery.
PARTNERS: TUM(Lead), VITO, CEA, Voltia
- Development of passive heat management, implementing phase change materials (PCM).
- Development of active heat management implementing an innovative & efficient heat pump and coupling with passive heat management.
- Development and implementation of optimal load management algorithms for balancing circuits and battery reconfiguration topologies.
RESULTS SO FAR
- Module ageing experiments with temperature gradient in 6s1p configuration with dissipative balancing verified correlation of balancing effort and cell ageing.
- Dissipative balancing after the charging period increased the accessible energy of the battery module.
- Lithium plating is most likely responsible for ageing of colder cells in 6s1p module with temperature gradient.
- Best solution for heat management is combining air and PCM cooling